Saturday, May 12, 2012

Care taking....or taking care




The 12th of May - what a beautiful day!

 I have been feeling on the verge of depression for the past few days.  My van broke down and is stuck in Wenatchee, my little convertible needed the top fixed $$$$$, I got a ticket for no license plate on the truck I was borrowing.  One thing after another. 

When I was a teenage,r I went to Apple Blossom in Chelan and got busted for under age drinking (imagine - at Apple Blossom - drinking!) and was sentenced to some anti-under-age-drinking classes.  The one thing that stuck with me was when the instructor said that total body movement, as in exercise, was a great alternative to drinking.  Released endorphins. 

During my verge of depression this past week, all I could think of was a bottle of white wine.  I seriously thought, though, that I should experience these uncomfortable feelings, reflect on them, work through them.  It was very uncomfortable!  

I went to Zumba all grumpy on Monday night.... but after a few songs, a lot of sweat :) and the music!  I cheered right up.  It's amazing how movement and music turn on the endorphins in me!  Dancing is my passion - I have been involved in some sort of dance since I was 12 yrs old - ballet, jazzercise (taught for 18 years - yes 18!!), zumba.  And of course the dancing in this class!

Friday was my5 month follow-up appointment with my orthopedic after rotator cuff (plus three additional procedures on my poor shoulder ) - he acknowledged my frustration with my progress and emphasized the need to take "me" time.  Just like Karen :) did - it''s so important but so difficult to do.  I think as nurses, we are so programed to take care of others that we leave little time for ourselves.

 I thought about the term "caretaker" the other day, broke it up into "care" and "take" - I "take care" of you, and you "take" my "care".  What does that leave me with?

My older brother is helping me with my broken down van in Wenatchee - he is taking care of me and it feels very different........but nice!

Take care of yourself......

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear that all the things happen at the same time. :( But It was a good thing that you went to dance instead of drink. The exercise was "your time" though.

    ReplyDelete