Wednesday, April 11, 2012

I have been pondering what to write here - what are my goals? what are my expectations?  

Last spring, the hospital I work at was offering a scholarship to complete the BSN program to selected employees.  One of the requirements was to write an essay stating my goals, aspirations and why I would be a good candidate for the scholarship.  I spent weeks writing and revising my essay - it was a work of art!!! - at the last moment, Providence cancelled the scholarship due to budget cuts.  

I want to post this essay here as it really encompasses my reasons for becoming a nurse, some of the setbacks in my recent life, some of my accomplishments.  

 

May 10, 2011
   

Human Resources
Back to School Tuition Scholarship Program


Dear Back to School Selection Committee,


Let me introduce myself – my name is Lori Young, I have been employed at PRMCE since August 2005. I spent my first 3 years working on the on the 4th floor Medical Telemetry/Neuro/Vascular Unit under the direction of Heather Coleman. Working on the 4th floor really demonstrated the importance and cohesiveness of teamwork along with teaching me a variety of clinical skills. Feeling a need to expand my practice, I accepted a position in the Float Resource Team under the direction of Martha Wick. In this capacity, I have been exposed to all types of acute care patients and their needs along with the specific and established protocols. I have developed many different clinical and interpersonal skills and am capable of taking on most RN roles, from the orthopedic protocols on the 8th floor to Hospice on 2N. I have improved my critical thinking and analytical skills. As a float RN, I make it a point to bring improvements from one floor to the next. I have introduced the Charge RN report folder to many floors and shared helpful and positive information gained during the huddles. At this point in my nursing career, I have come to realize that my clinical skills are just one aspect of my profession and I need to further my practice with additional education.

Working as an RN at Providence has been a life long dream for me. Growing up, I always wanted to be involved in health care, nursing in particular. I wasn’t encouraged by my parents or the counselors at school to pursue this profession, so I followed the career path of most people in this area – I went to work for Boeing! I got married, had two (wonderful) boys, and continued to work full time along with operating my fitness franchise on a part-time basis. In 1996, during my pregnancy with my second son I started having unusual symptoms – sudden unexplained tachycardia, drenching sweats and spiking blood pressures. These were all explained away as ‘part of being pregnant’ but, knowing my body as I did, I knew something was wrong. Two months after giving birth, I was diagnosed with a Pheochromocytoma along with cholecystitis. I had life saving surgery on January 3, 1997. During my recovery (at Providence on the 6th floor), I witnessed the excellent, professional care demonstrated by the nurses. A vivid memory of mine is doing laps around the nurse’s station, gripping my IV pole with the nurses cheering me on. I knew I had to become a nurse and work at Providence.
Life progressed: 9/11/2001 affected the whole world including mine. I was laid off from Boeing in early 2002 and my husband left me and my two boys. My first thought was, “How am I going to support my family?” I went straight to EvCC and, with a lot of help from the staff, managed to enroll in my first quarter of pre-requisites for the nursing program. Imagine taking Chemistry, along with two other classes after being out of school for over 20 years! I worked hard and diligently and earned a perfect 4.0 GPA. The certificate still hangs on my refrigerator! It seems I spent those three years either at school or studying in my den. I received my ADN in 2005, graduating with honors, along with raising my boys to be good scholars, honest citizens and happy young men. It was a wonderful achievement for me. I feel I set a great example for my children – have a goal, work hard, set your priorities and that goal is obtainable. Now my goal is to further my education by obtaining my BSN.

I am so proud to work for and be a member of the Providence family! I respect and abide by the Providence core values and strive to uphold them daily. I am now able to extend my gratitude for what I have been given (blessed with) by volunteering. I completed my PRIDE Level 1 this year and had the opportunity to volunteer both at an ECEAP preschool clean-up project and at a Teen health and fitness exposition. By exploring my individual mission within the Providence mission, I feel I grew not only educationally but spiritually. I am currently involved with the stroke prevention and education drive led by the stroke team from the 4th floor. I have advanced my practice by earning my Medical Surgical certification, attending additional educational offerings provided by Providence and keeping up with the latest evidence based practices and clinical standard improvements through my association memberships. I am active in the Toast Masters club to improve my communication skills. Giving back to my community is both satisfying and rewarding. It brings me inner peace.

Without compassion, nursing is an empty profession. I demonstrate compassion in my work every time I interact with my patients by considering their circumstances and focusing on their immediate needs, keeping our agreed upon outcome as a main goal. Educating my patients empowers them to make informed decisions, not only for their immediate care, but also for their future health and well-being. Simple “words of wisdom’ from a professional can make an important impact on a patient. Showing compassion, even with a simple touch, is something I strive to demonstrate, not only in my nursing, but also in everyday life.



Thou shalt not harden thine heart, nor shut thine hand from thy poor brother. (Deut. 15:7)

Justice, in my nursing practice, encompasses the integrity, honesty and pride shown to my co-workers, patients and their families. Treating each other as equals, with respect and dignity, demonstrates the Providence core value, but also is a core belief I have.

Do not pervert justice; do not show partiality to the poor or favoritism to the great, but judge your neighbor fairly. (Leviticus 19:14-16)

Respect, is demonstrated with a simple knock on the door prior to entering a patient’s room, with a grateful “thank you” to a co-worker or volunteer. Respect encompasses allowing patients to be involved in the decisions impacting their healthcare, and respecting those decisions.

Honour the face of the old man. (Lev. 19:32)

Excellence in my practice is providing outstanding care to each and every one of my patients by treating them with equality, justice and respect. By continually advancing my clinical knowledge through educational classes, medical journals and learning from each and every patient, I continue to demonstrate excellence in my practice.

The excellency of dignity. (Gen. 49:3)

Stewardship is defined by the World Health Organization as “the careful and responsible management of the well-being of the population”. Stewardship is demonstrated by the proper utilization of resources including material and environmental resources, promoting people and intelligence. I demonstrate good stewardship by respecting and conserving the materials provided to me, the patients entrusted in my care and the environment given to us.

My financial situation leaves me without the extra funds needed to manage school expenses along with living expenses. I am a single mom raising two teenage boys; my oldest son will start his second year at Edmonds Community College next fall. Expenses for both of us in college are not feasible. By investing in me through my continued education, Providence will be making a sound investment both in its future growth and in its leadership in the Health Care community.

I have been accepted into the University of Washington BSN program for fall quarter. I completed my foreign language classes at EvCC fall 2010 and winter 2011 quarters and am enrolled in the Statistics class at UWB for the summer quarter, completing the pre-requisites necessary for the BSN program. I have excellent time management skills and have no doubt I will be successful in this program. I love learning.


Nursing is not a stagnant profession; performing the basic and advanced skills is just one aspect of our profession. We have a unique skill set that is underdeveloped in many aspects and, although we as a profession have many clinical skills and a great body of knowledge, we can be advanced to a more spectacular, greater recognized and more appreciated professional entity. I want to be a part of the movement towards magnet status and feel that by obtaining my BSN, along with my practical experience, I will be empowered with the knowledge to assist my profession and PRMCE through management opportunities or educator roles. With more focus on preventative medicine, nurses will have a greater role in health care. I want to become even more involved in this movement through research, teaching and leadership.

Thank you for considering my request for funding. I appreciate this opportunity to be considered a candidate for the Back to School Scholarship.


Sincerely,





Lori Young RN, CMSRN

1 comment:

  1. I was gonna say that you really went through a lot. I really don't know how you were able to overcome all that. I admire your strength. I knew you were strong, but I didn't know all that. The essay looks really good, delivering so many messages about you. :) I am very pleased and proud that I met you in this program!

    ReplyDelete